blog

Protecting your stuff during a long distance move

If you're making a long distance move, you've probably already realized that there’s so much to do and so little time to do it. However, Astro/Law's Moving & Storage wants to help you plan your move properly to ensure a rewarding, exciting, and stress-free relocation.

Local moves, while not a cakewalk for most people, at least have the advantage of proximity. If you forget something, it’s probably not a big deal. For long-distance moves, however, you’ve really got to have a detailed plan laid out. Here are three things that can help your stuff arrive in one at your new place.

Pack carefully.

Your things are going to be handled a lot by multiple people during the loading/moving/unloading process. Make sure you’ve taken special care that fragile and breakable items are packed with plenty of cushioning, and not much room for movement if the box gets jostled (it will). It’s also really important to ensure that the boxes are sealed tightly to keep the contents safe inside for the entire move. Use the best quality boxes you can afford. Sturdy, well-constructed boxes obviously travel much better than salvaged boxes from behind the grocery store.

Mark your boxes with your name.

If you’re moving a household across the country, there’s a good chance that your stuff will be transported in the back of a tractor trailer. There’s an equally good chance that your boxes will not be the only ones in the truck. Several households may be packed on board, especially in the case of long distance moves. Putting some kind of personalized identification on each box will help all of your stuff to end up at the right destination.

Insure your stuff.

Even with the most careful handling by moving teams, breakage or damage can happen. Your possessions will be traveling hundreds or even thousands of miles in the back of a truck. Statistics from AMSA (American Moving & Storage Association) show that more that 80% of all moves don’t have insurance claims filed. Unfortunately, the math leaves you thinking about that other 20%. You’re somewhat protected under Federal law, which the liability for your moving company is 60¢ per pound. While you’re doing math, it would be a good idea to consider the value of everything you’re moving, and see if that basic coverage will be sufficient. You may decide that full coverage makes more sense for you.

Protecting your stuff during a long distance move
Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form
Astro/Law's Moving & Storage
1100 17th Street
Vero Beach, FL 32960
1-800-523-7652
772-562-6600 (phone)
772-562-0103 (fax)

Coporate Headquarters
30 Jefferson Avenue
Saint James, NY 11780
1.800-992-1015
631-584-7700 (phone)
631-584-8011 (fax)